Venom and poison are both toxic. The difference is in the delivery. Venom is injected using a special 'apparatus' (e.g., fangs, stingers); poison is ingested, usually by eating or drinking, but sometimes through skin contact.
|Photos by Steven Kessel 9/10/2013|
More on this topic from Steven Kessel:
The datura blossom (Sacred Datura Datura wrightii) is poisonous [Anne notes: to many mammals]. Eating it will give you hallucinations and will make you very sick. It can kill you if you ingest it. [Anne notes: especially the seeds.] By contrast, the Tarantula Hawk is venomous. By reputation, its sting is among the most potent of all insect stings.